- 3 large egg whites
- 1 ¼ cup superfine sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
- Pink or Red food color
- Preheat your oven to 200 F. Trace 6 hearts on a parchment paper using a pencil and heart mold, like a cookie cutter; line a sheet pan with the paper, writing facing down. Fit a rosette-piping tip about ¼ inch diameter in a large piping bag.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt and place over a pot of boiling water. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm, about 3 minutes.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer and with the whisk attachment, whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in vanilla seeds and a couple of drops of food color until desired color is formed.
- Scoop the meringue into the piping bag and pipe small rosettes, first outlining the heart and then filling it in.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then turn the heat down to 175 F and continue baking for another 1 ½ hour.
- Transfer the meringue hearts to cooling rack and when completely cool, store in an airtight container, until ready to use, up to 3 days.