- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- 2 envelops powdered gelatin
- 5 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Yellow food color
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Line a 9 by 13 straight-sided baking pan with parchment paper and dust with a mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, light corn syrup and water. Bring to a bowl and after about 5 minutes place a candy thermometer in the pot. It needs to reach 245 F and this will take a few minutes.
- In the meantime combine gelatin and the other ½ cup of water in another small saucepan. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites on high speed with the pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Slowly add the hot sugar mixture and continue to whip.
- Heat the gelatin pot until dissolved and add that to the mixture with the vanilla while continuing to whip until cool, about another 5 minutes.
- Add a few drops of food color until desired color is reached.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Dust with more cornstarch and powdered sugar mixture and place another sheet of parchment paper on top.
- Allow to set for about 3 hours. Then using a chick cookie cutter dipped in cornstarch mix cut the chicks out and re dust the sides.